Saturday, August 7, 2010

eat, pray, love, READ

i'm reading eat pray love right now by elizabeth gilbert. it is just the book i need--lovely little proses, a journey story, thick with imagery. the other night i came across chapter 18. i could hardly believe what i read, in lieu of my experience at the mall a few weeks ago. i decided to include it here, as her words are exactly as i felt. she calls it a "strange interior gesture of friendship":

In New York City..., I walked into an office building one afternoon in a hurry, dashed into the waiting elevator. As I rushed in, I caught an unexpected glimpse of myself in a security mirror's reflection. In that moment my brain did an odd thing--it fires off this split-second message: "Hey! You know her! That's a friend of yours!" And I actually ran forward toward my own reflection with a smile, ready to welcome that girl whose name I had lost but whose face was so familiar. In a flash instant, of course, I realized my mistake and laughed in embarrassment at my almost doglike confusion over how a mirror works. But for some reason that incident comes to mind again tonight: Never forget that once upon a time, in an unguarded moment, you recognized yourself as a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment