Tuesday, June 22, 2010

ON THE ROAD: Salt Lake-->North Platte


1:58 pm, Tuesday, Coalville, Utah: “Clouds that look like mountains”

It’s a bit of a daunting feat, this driving across the country. Almost like climbing mountains. Farther to go than I can wrap my mind around. Often I pause and think, “What in the world am I doing?” Not just in the driving aspect, but in the moving to DC part too. I have no job, no plan…all I have is a car full of clothes, a rice cooker, somewhere to sleep once I get there, and a guidebook to the District. This may be one of the braver moments of my life. Walking into the dark. But it doesn’t feel like darkness. Especially not as I’m driving through the back hills of Utah, rolling, green, lush with the secrets of under-development, fuzzy with brush, clouds bigger than the hills, a monochrome of whites and grays and silvers. And everything bathed in sunshine. No, there is no darkness here. Just hopes high as the clouds and eyes green as the land. And green insides for that matter, in every sense of the color.

Huge lightening storms tonight through Nebraska. Makes me think of chasing tornadoes and playing pirates when I was a kid.

Lesson learned tonight: don't let mom drive after dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment