Monday, February 8, 2010

please read this

i taught poetry today to eighty-nine fifteen year olds. "here kids, here's a poem. it can make you cry, laugh, mourn, understand, change........good luck."

this is one of my favorite poems. i have put the words here so you may read them. then download it from itunes (because justin vernon deserves tangible compensation for bringing beauty into the world) and let it change your life, heal your heart, hold the storm, peel away the shell. it will do all of those things.

then, if you still want more, read this.


re: stacks
This my excavation and today is kumran 
Everything that happens is from now on 
This is pouring rain 
This is paralyzed  

I keep throwing it down two-hundred at a time 
It's hard to find it when you knew it 
When your money's gone 
And you're drunk as hell  

On your back with your racks as the stacks as your load 
In the back and the racks and the stacks are your load 
In the back with your racks and you're un-stacking your load  

I've been twisting to the sun, I needed to replace 
The fountain in the front yard is rusted out 
All my love was down  
In a frozen ground  

There's a black crow sitting across from me; his wiry legs are crossed 
And he's dangling my keys he even fakes a toss 
Whatever could it be 
That has brought me to this loss?  

This is not the sound of a new man or crispy realization 
It's the sound of the unlocking and the lift away 
Your love will be 
Safe with me

2 comments:

  1. i agree with justine - these words make we weep every time i hear, read, or sing them.

    ReplyDelete