Monday, March 24, 2014

It is wonderful this Gospel!

Stories:

Getting off the metro to come write emails today, there were two kids with an accordion in the metro. I'm always tempted to ask them if I can play, but I just know as soon as I do, something bad is going to happen. Not sure what, but I feel a little weird playing the accordion as a missionary, so generally I've just chosen not to. Well today I decided what the heck I'll ask them. So I do and they don't speak French, so I sat by them and we tried to talk a little, and then they said I could and handed it over. And seriously no sooner had I unsnapped the buckle on top than a tall, professional man in a long peacoat and scarf comes up, pulls a card out of his pocket, flashes "AGENT" at us and says, "Do you know if is forbidden to solicit money in the metros?" Hahahaha, we smile and say, "We actually just got here and I asked him if I could play." He smiled too and all was well. But there you go. There are undercover anti-accordion agents on the metros of Lyon. 

We taught a beautiful woman out in her garden in the sunshine teaching her the Plan of Salvation and she about fell off her chair she was so happy to hear that she was going to be resurrected again and see her parents. She loves her parents a lot.  She is so full of light and faith in humanity and love for God. When we left, she clipped two yellow daffodils and a pink tulip from her garden and gave them to us, saying, "I usually never cut them."

Last week we got a text: "Hello Thomas S. Monson. I'd like to learn more about your church."
We have a new amis that came out of nowhere. He found our card on the bus one day and decided to call. And he's hungry to learn and so wonderful. All this time we've been thinking, "He is such a miracle! We're so cool to get to have this miracle blah blah blah" Come to find out yesterday that he is actually someone that our Gerland elders contacted several months ago, who just now decided to learn more, and happened to find our card. Our Gerland elders who worked so so hard last transfer and barely saw any success...in fact, mostly just saw people they were teaching become disinterested or reject them. Turns out that most miracles are actually the result of someone's hard, hard work. There's something incredibly comforting and inspiring about that.

Favorite moment of the week was last night when we were just about to go into our apartment, we walked by a family of four and so we ran over to them and started a really funny conversation with them using the questionnaire ("Question One: Who is the cheif of the family?" They all laughed and pointed to their dad. "Question Two: Who in your family has influenced you the most?" They all laughed and pointed to their dad again.) Then another woman and her daughter came up and chipped in, and then it got real and the adults started talking about how much they loved their moms, and then we testified that families can be together after death, and the woman who had walked up halfway through steps forward really intense and says, "Tell me more about that. That interests me." They were all on their way to a party, but they wanted instead to stay and talk about the Plan of Salvation. We taught a lesson to that woman in the lobby of her apartment building and gave her a brochure. It was humbling to see how thirsty people are to know the truths we know.

It is wonderful this Gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment