Thursday, August 1, 2013

You are enough. You are enough. You are enough.

You know what I'd do if I were the devil? I'd try to get people to think they weren't as awesome as they are, and I'd try to get them to think that they have no power to change that, that they're incapable of overcoming their un-awesomeness. I was reading in Preach My Gospel, our missionary resource book, this week and I came across a line that says agency is a privilege and a power. Doctrine & Covenants 58:28 says, "for the power is in THEM." We've got the power! There are other verses in the Book of Mormon that talk about how we are free to choose captivity and death or liberty and eternal life. I never really understood that until a little while ago. It means, it's more than just "the onus is on you to follow God or not." It means that we don't have to be miserable if we don't want to be! It means we are powerful enough creatures, with these bodies and minds that we have, to actually decide and create who we want to be. And that is why I think the doctrine of Agency is so precious, because it means we are the masters of ourselves. We don't have to sign ourselves off forever to a state of mediocrity or miserableness. Agency is a principle of power.

The point is: you are awesome. And you are enough. Sometimes it's a struggle to see that or to believe that. But it's truth. And when you focus on that--on all the ways you are enough--the inadequacies sorta melt away and you feel happy and light and useful again.

We spent the week in Pau to avoid the Fetes de Bayonne. The sisters in Pau have a balcony. I slept out on it and thought of being with my family at the ranch and sleeping on the roof in Mexico with my brother.

Pictures:

All the motorcycles of people coming for the Fetes de Bayonne
On the funicular up to Pau
On the balcony. Sleepy but happy.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! Your writing is delightful! Generous,honest,humble,inquisitive,insightful,gentle,humorous,worldly and totally inspiring. Thank you!
    I came across your blog because I want to go visit my friend in Bayonne. I live in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete