Monday, June 6, 2011

to the irony of songs in your head

song [in the head] of the day:  "lost in my mind" by the head and the heart.  give it a listen.





today was rather productive.  "rather" because i'm in england and they use words like such as, and "productive" because i shopped myself ready for the adventure that is soon to ensue.


originally i planned to backpack without makeup, without a care to my hair (braid everyday), and with a few plain white v-neck tees.  if i'm going to do this thing with one school-sized backpack, i'm going to have to cut back.


and then i found CUP OF JO's pages on cute and low-maintenance hairstyles.


PAUSE: i was listening to noah and the whale, and then someone in the room put on different music louder and suddenly i can't concentrate.  huh.  maybe my writing-self knows what music it needs.......until then, i shall write like a windup monkey doll.


anyways, CUP OF JO has lovely hairstyles.  and thus i decided that my hair might as well be cute whilst backpacking.


and that's how it started.


"it" being the sudden succession of thoughts relating to the fact that i am going to be at the eiffel tower and at cafes in rome and watching bullfights, and for goodness sake, if a girl's going to do europe, she probably should...you know, wear skirts and red lipstick everyday.


so we have that to look forward to for the next few weeks.  (smile of ladylike satisfaction)


plus, skirts are way more comfy than shorts.


so, back to today being rather productive:  i found myself some red lipstick and wore it all day and count it the best purchase i've made here.  (i also bought a flash drive & bandaids & earplugs & walking shoes & socks & a bar of soap today.)


now the real story: riding the tube back from said productive-day, i was so busy singing "lost in my mind" in my head and thinking about all the ways i shall do my hair and wear my red lipstick while walking through the tuileries that i missed my tube stop.  completely and totally missed it, i was so lost in my mind singing "lost in my mind" in my mind.  yes.  moments like this happen to me.  i laughed a lot.  then walked away quickly because there was a strange man with an umbrella who i thought might be following me.  (he wasn't, but sometimes a little imagined danger is good for getting a mind drifting to things parisian to stick to the task at hand: namely, getting off the tube in the right places.)


in other news, tonight i went to "pygmalion" at garrick theatre with the program.  starring rupert everett.




the best part of the production were these words, which i feel are rather apropos to aforementioned red lipstick:  
I should never have known how ladies and gentlemen really behaved, if it hadn't been for Colonel Pickering. He always showed what he thought and felt about me as if I were something better than a common flower girl. You see, Mrs. Higgins, apart from the things one can pick up, the difference between a lady and a flower girl is not how she behaves, but how she is treated. I shall always be a common flower girl to Professor Higgins, because he always treats me like a common flower girl, and always will. But I know that I shall always be a lady to Colonel Pickering, because he always treats me like a lady, and always will.  (Eliza Doolittle) 



and while we're on the topic of words of the day, here are a few more:

paraphrase of the day:
"dating isn't as much fun and games as it used to be cause we are playing for keeps.  i used to be playing for fun and hoping it would turn into keeps.  now I play for keeps and hope it gets fun."  
(name withheld to protect the lives of the innocent)

song title of the day:
"every teardrop is a waterfall" 
(coldplay's new single!)
leave it to coldplay to write a title like that.

lord of the rings quote of the day:
Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields... and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries? 
sam to frodo.  this is what home feels like to me.  lucky, i know.

and then tonight i went to westminster bridge again, to listen to the river.




1 comment:

  1. 1) Noah and the Whale. Boom.
    2) Chop off your hair woman.
    3) I currently live vicariously through you. Keep it up. (or should I say, "Keep us up"...)

    ReplyDelete