Tuesday, February 12, 2013

IS IT LOVE? // part three

And the final quiz...

LOVE ADVICE FROM THE VICTORIANS!
(part three)

NOW THAT WE'RE ENGAGED, IS OUR LOVE GOING TO LAST?
Now that you are engaged to such an amiable character, it is important to continue to weigh your decision to eternally tie yourself to this person.  If the need should arise to break off the engagement, it would be more kind and just to your lover and to yourself to do so now and suffer a small period of embarrassment and heartbreak than to forfeit an infinite happiness.

Mentally note all statements that are true of yourself.

As the marriage date draws near, I feel…
  • An increase of sadness.
  • An indefinite apprehension that the pleasures of life are at an end.
  • A determination (requiring often renewal) to do my duty to my fiancĂ© in going through with your promise to marry him.
  • That my fiancĂ© distances him/herself from me, such that I cannot open my whole heart to him/her, and visa versa.
  • That if there were some other woman/man as amiable or more than I, with whom he/she could be equally happy, I would feel pleasure in him/her cultivating acquaintance with that person rather than with me.
If you noted affirmative beside any of the above statements, it really is best to terminate the engagement now, rather than bind yourself to misery for eternity.

If you are one of those fortunate enough to be bound to a man/woman of such superior character, and to feel such natural and pure inclinations towards him of love, and to be betrothed to such, you may be assured that your home will become one of the brightest spots in the world.

And there you have it folks! Marriage according to the Victorians! Now go out and find yourself some love.

1 comment:

  1. These have been great! Thanks! And have a happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete